Today we pray for an end to all domestic violence.
God of peace, there are many places and many people who do not experience Your peace. Right now there are many, many women and children who live under the dark weight of the fear of violence right in their own homes. We pray for your protection, and for wisdom for friends and officials to help bring that right protection to them. We pray for the many men who themselves feel powerless and confused about their relationships. We ask that you would help them find healthy ways to work out their frustrations and to find hope without resorting to destructive impulses. God, work in our country to stem this epidemic. We ask for your perfect peace. Amen.
- Prepare What do you say if someone comes to you?
- Read Life Matters: Domestic Violence
- Read For Your Marriage: Overcoming Obstacles – Domestic Violence
- Watch/listen Why domestic violence victims don’t leave (Leslie Morgan Steiner TEDtalk)
“A correct reading of Scripture leads people to an understanding of the equal dignity of men and women and to relationships based on mutuality and love. Beginning with Genesis, Scripture teaches that women and men are created in God’s image.”
- Watch/listen Violence against women: it’s a men’s issue (Jackson Katz TEDtalk)
“Abuse thrives only in silence.”