Questions of the Day for Father’s Day
- Do you know who you are and whose you are?
- Do you know the way to your Father’s house?
Jesus Reveals God Our Father
Beloved Children of God
- You are God’s child (John 1:12; Galatians 3:26)
- You are Jesus’ friend. (John 15:15)
- You were chosen before the foundation of the world (Ephesians 1:4) and adopted through Christ. (Ephesians 1:5)
- You are God’s workmanship. (Ephesians 2:10)
- You are God’s chosen one, holy, and beloved. (Colossians 3:12)
God the Father, God the Son
- For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life. (John 3:16)
- This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased. (Baptism of Jesus, Matthew 3:16–17)
- Philip asks Jesus to show the disciples the Father. Jesus replies that whoever has seen him has seen the Father. The Father is in Jesus, and Jesus is in the Father. (John 14:9)
I give praise to you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, for although you have hidden these things from the wise and the learned you have revealed them to the childlike. Yes, Father, such has been your gracious will. All things have been handed over to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son wishes to reveal him.
— Jesus (Matthew 11:25–27)
God, Our Father
- The Father knit you in your mother’s womb. (Psalm 139:13)
- The Father knows all the hairs on your head. (Matthew 10:30)
- The Father knows what you need. (Matthew 6:32)
Jesus, Our Brother and Friend
- For whoever does the will of my heavenly Father is my brother, and sister, and mother. (Matthew 12:50)
- You are my friends if you do what I command you. I no longer call you slaves, because a slave does not know what his master is doing. I have called you friends, because I have told you everything I have heard from my Father. (John 15:14–15)
Jesus Teaches Us How to Pray
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as in heaven. Give us today our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors; and do not subject us to the final test, but deliver us from the evil one. (Matthew 6:11–14)
“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. Which one of you would hand his son a stone when he asks for a loaf of bread, or a snake when he asks for a fish? If you then, who are wicked, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good things to those who ask him.”
— Jesus (Matthew 7:7–11)
Forgive and Be Forgiven
Your heavenly Father will forgive you as you forgive your debtors. (Matthew 6:14)
Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.
— Jesus (Luke 23:34)
Imitate the Father and the Son
Love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your heavenly Father, for he makes his sun rise on the bad and the good, and causes rain to fall on the just and unjust. … So be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect. (Matthew 5:44–45; 48)
I have given you a model to follow, so that as I have done for you, you should also do. — Jesus (John 13:15)
You Have an Eternal Inheritance
Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven.
— Jesus (Matthew 7:21)
- Jesus prepares a place for you in the Father’s house. (John 14:2)
- The Father has made you fit to share in the inheritance of the holy ones in light. (Colossians 1:12)
- It is the Father’s will that not one of his children be lost. (Matthew 18:14)
Amen, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.
— Jesus (Matthew 18:3)