With Jesus in His Agony
Aim: To spend a day in reparation for the sufferings I have made Jesus bear for me
Examination: My Spirit of Mortification
- Do I perform all these penances in the spirit of faith?
- How do I take the discomforts due to the climate, ill health, common life, poverty, etc.?
- Am I resigned interiorly to the trials which God sends me?
- Do I try to hide the little sufferings of my daily life?
- Do I accept Desolation as readily as Consolation? Do I accept Dryness in Prayer as a grace of God?
- Do I put up with the defects of others?
Readings: Saint John’s Gospel, Chapters 14 & 17
The Imitation of Christ: Book 2, Chapters 11 & 12
Reflection of the Day: “Father, he said, if it pleases thee, take away this chalice before me; only as Thy will is, not as mine is.” (Luke 22:42)
“I can [relieve] the sufferings of Jesus. I can take a part from His suffering.” Thank you for telling me.—This was a tremendous grace to me.
— Saint Mother Teresa’s retreat notes