Advent: a season of preparation for a personal encounter with Jesus Christ
- Past: to celebrate the Incarnation—Word of God made flesh
- Present: to adore Jesus’ Real Presence in the Eucharist
- Future: to be awake and ready for meeting Christ at death and in His Second Coming
Scripture for First Sunday of Advent
Jesus said to his disciples:
“As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man.
In those days before the flood, they were eating and drinking,
marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day that Noah entered the ark.
They did not know until the flood came and carried them all away.
So will it be also at the coming of the Son of Man.
Two men will be out in the field; one will be taken, and one will be left.
Two women will be grinding at the mill; one will be taken, and one will be left.
Therefore, stay awake!
For you do not know on which day your Lord will come. Be sure of this: if the master of the house had known the hour of night when the thief was coming, he would have stayed awake and not let his house be broken into. So too, you also must be prepared, for at an hour you do not expect, the Son of Man will come.”
Ten Questions of the Day:
Advent season assessment of your lived relationship with God
from Sherry Weddell, Forming Intentional Disciples: The Path to Knowing and Following Jesus
- Do I believe in God?
- What kind of God do I believe in (personal or impersonal)?
- Do I believe in the possibility of a relationship with God?
- Do I have a relationship with this God?
- If so, what kind of relationship do I have with him?
- Do I have a relationship with Jesus Christ?
- If you were to ask Jesus those last those three questions, how would he answer them?
- How much time did I spend today talking to and listening God, not counting going to Mass?
- How much time did I spend in the last 7 days talking and listening to God, not counting going to Mass?
- How much time do I spend reading the Word of God?
The Choices We Face: Ralph Martin interviews Sherry Weddell
- Prepare Advent season prayers and reflections (EWTN)
- Waste time with God Christ is the Answer #797 (Father John Riccardo)
- Watch God of Gods: Julius Caesar and the Advent of Christ (Institute of Catholic Culture)